

One of the residences of the Archbishop of Canterbury
from the ninth century until Henry VIII forced
Archbishop Cranmer to relinquish it to the Crown.
In the early sixteenth century Archbishop Warham
extended the Palace to rival Hampton Court in size and
splendour. Now only part of the gate house
remains.
This plaque was removed to its present location from a tower on Otford Mount that was erected by Russell in 1874 for the purpose of watching fox hunting and steeple chasing.
The walk passes close to Otford station where there are trains from London and Sevenoaks.
Automatically migrated from https://www.kentramblers.org.uk/KentWalks/public/walk_026.htm on 2025-12-11 09:19